The ICC World Cup 2023 will be the last of its kind, with the tournament expanding to 14 teams in 2027. This format change could potentially have a negative impact on big teams, for the following reasons:
- More competition: With more teams in the tournament, there will be more competition for the big teams. They will have to play more matches and win more games in order to advance to the knockout stages.
- Less room for error: With a round-robin format, there will be less room for error for the big teams. If they lose a couple of matches early on in the tournament, it could be difficult for them to qualify for the knockout stages.
- More upsets: With more teams in the tournament, there is a greater chance of upsets. The big teams could potentially lose to a lesser-known team, which could eliminate them from the tournament.
- More fatigue: With more matches to play, the players on the big teams could become more fatigued. This could lead to a decrease in their performance and an increased risk of injuries.
In addition to these factors, the format change could also have a negative impact on the financial situation of the big teams. With more teams in the tournament, the prize pool will be divided among more teams. This could lead to a decrease in the revenue that the big teams earn from the tournament.
Overall, the format change for the ICC World Cup could have a number of negative consequences for the big teams. They will have to face more competition, less room for error, and more upsets. They could also become more fatigued and earn less revenue.
Here are some specific examples of how the format change could impact big teams:
- England: England is the current world champion in both ODI and T20 cricket. However, they have a history of struggling in round-robin tournaments. They lost in the group stage of the 2015 ODI World Cup and the 2016 T20 World Cup. With more teams in the tournament in 2023, England will have to be more consistent in their performances in order to qualify for the knockout stages.
- India: India is one of the most successful teams in ODI cricket, having won the World Cup twice. However, they have also struggled in recent years, losing in the semifinals of the 2015 and 2019 World Cups. With more teams in the tournament in 2023, India will have to be more clinical in their performances in order to win the World Cup.
- Australia: Australia is the most successful team in World Cup history, having won the tournament five times. However, they have also struggled in recent years, losing in the quarterfinals of the 2015 and 2019 World Cups. With more teams in the tournament in 2023, Australia will have to be more disciplined in their performances in order to win the World Cup.
It is important to note that the format change is still in its early stages and it is too early to say for sure how it will impact big teams. However, it is clear that the big teams will have to face a number of challenges in the 2023 World Cup